Maca, a root that belongs to the radish family, is most commonly available in powder form. Grown in the mountains of Peru, it has been called “Peruvian ginseng.” Maca’s benefits have been long valued, and has recently been popularized as a supplement and food ingredient. I like to use maca in my smoothies, post workout drinks, energy snacks, and juices. Don’t add it to anything that’s very hot because it will lose all its benefits. Benefits of maca powder:
– Rich in vitamin B vitamins, C, and E, provides plenty of calcium, zinc, iron, magnesium, phosphorous and amino acids.
– Maca is widely used to promote sexual function of both men and women, it serves as a boost to your libido and increases endurance. At the same time it balances your hormones and increases fertility.
– Maca relieves menstrual issues and menopause. It alleviates cramps, body pain, hot flashes, anxiety, mood swings, and depression. If you are pregnant or lactating you should avoid taking maca.
– Within days of using maca your energy level may increase. It is also known for increasing stamina. Many athletes take maca for peak performance. If you find yourself tired most of the time, experiment with maca to see if it helps. Just a small amount could be exactly what you need for a boost
– Maca helps your overall health in a number of ways. It supplies iron and helps restore red blood cells, which aids anemia and cardiovascular diseases. Maca keeps your bones and teeth healthy and allows you to heal from wounds more quickly. When used in conjunction with a good workout regime you will notice an increase in muscle mass.
– Many people take maca for skin issues, as for some people it helps to clear acne and blemishes. Another benefit for your skin is that is decreases sensitivity.
-If you find yourself overcome with anxiety, stress, depression or mood swings, maca may help alleviate these symptoms, though of the evidence is anecdotal. Some have reported an increase in mental energy and focus.
To be on a safe side you should ask your doctor before taking any supplement type of food